Still Struggling

ok, might need to wash them first, you need a new job. But at least you got a income coming in. All I got at the moment is 500 something sick pay. which means the rest is having to come out of mum’s money. Being alive is expensive today, don’t really know how I feel about that. Chemo is doing its job though Myeloma cells count is dropping. Which is good, but I live to give my money to the council.

I know I should be grateful that I have a job but it has really impacted my mental health since losing mum. Problems seem harder to cope with we mum always let me sound off at her and we would talk it through. The people I have worked with for years have been cruel since we came back so it’s an awful place

I have contacted the council via email, obviously not MacMillan as of yet. All the council want to do is fib you off to the DWP they don’t want to know. That’s after waiting 20 minutes on the phone. It gets to the point you don’t want to ring them even, why would I want to contact the DWP ? I can’t qualify for Universal Credit and still waiting on Pip.

Yea I totally understand, I had the same thing with my mum I could talk to her and just like you I miss that, so I do understand where you coming from. You just can’t replace that, I get advice but it’s not the type of advice my mum would give me. Just like you I lost such a big loss and just like everyone else on here. Some people are lucky to have someone else around them so it’s a bit easier for them. Hopefully I can email MacMillan later on. Don’t let them get to you at work, if they see a crack in your armour it get worst. People enjoy hurting others they get satisfaction out of it. Don’t give them that satisfaction in the first place!

They need to do something to help you as they are just allowing you to get further and further into debt. It might also be worth you going to your local Citizens Advice as well as Macmillan

I think I was still coming to terms with losing dad then mum became ill in January and everything fell apart. I’m hoping if I get into a uni course it will get me out meeting people again. I lost dad two weeks before my college course started, it saved me as I had college work and classes to focus on all the time. Now I don’t have that there’s too much time to focus on things. Maybe you should do a course of some kind even if it’s just learning a hobby?

Yea I had work to focus on before the Myeloma diagnosis. It gave me time to focus on the flat and get it looking a bit better and not finished with it just yet. I got chemo Wednesday and meet up with my sister on Thursday. I can only do 1 thing at a time, still don’t know about Myeloma and don’t know where my life going. I got the worse to come yet though with Stem Cell so I’m not out the woods by a long shot. The Stem Cell Transplant could fail, there’s no guarantee. Which would mean I would have to do it all again.

You’ll be in hospital for a while when they use chemo to kill off the cells in your bone marrow and introduce the stem cells? It will be gruelling I know but you will get looked after and there will be people you can talk to

Looks like I’m going to need it! contacted MacMillan by the way.

1 Like

That’s good, hopefully they will get back to you pretty quickly. The council is going to have to understand that you are going to be unable to work for a while

Without a doubt, and God knows how I will feel after the Stem Cell Transplant.

I would imagine you will be in hospital so that they can monitor your cell counts and infection markers so they can jump on infections. They won’t let you home until they are happy with you, it will give you time to rest and work on your foot photos!

Yep my immune system will be 0

Hope Macmillan are useful @Keith68 . There should be exemptions for people on longer term treatments. Sorry you had a bad day @Malcolm2. Hope today is a better one. Your house sounds cosy with all the decorations. Hope your sister is going on ok.
I’m just enjoying a late breakfast after having eaten very little yesterday. I had to do some hospital tests at home which involved restricting what I ate all day. Evening meal was just strips of beef and white rice which was pretty unappetising with no sauce, veg, potato etc. Just finished doing my tests so now can go and post them off and eat! Whatever I like. Fruits, crisps, choc, great. Time to do the shopping now and it’s chucking it down out there x

Just on my hour break, we are really busy today but I’m not stressing! My sister has her chest CT tomorrow then a hospital appointment in Thursday, I think that was to find out what operation they need to do to remove the cyst.
The living room is nice and cosy and I feel relaxed once I am home now, just need some new pyjamas! Since Covid I wear them at home unless I know the postman is coming! Let me know if you get to TK Maxx and if anything takes your fancy, I got a big orange glass pumping that lights up for £14.99! It’s nice to watch a movie with just the lights of decorations on.
There was a massive rumble of thunder when we got home last night and torrential rain, it’s get and drizzly here now. Hope you get on ok with your chores!

There seems to be a culture that has developed in this country. Thats it ok to pick on the vulnerable . That might be what you are witnessing at work ? it’s been going on for a few years in various police divisions. various officers being charged with rape against vulnerable woman. Thinking they can could get away with it, theres some really sick coppers around. Maybe this culture has gathered now in the workplace ? it wouldn’t surprise me.

I got an email back today from MacMillan, they gave me a number to step change which I rung they told me to contact the council quoting section 13 of a act. Has Councils have the right to waive away debts, and it’s unfair to me as I’m not working and probably won’t for sometime due to my condition.

Have you thought of getting some advice about work and how they treating you after the loss of your parents ? might be worth thinking about as the management have a responsibility towards it’s staff and how they treated. If it’s a problem now then that problem could get worse, you need to act now to make sure this don’t happen or things don’t escalate any further to safeguard yourself and your sister as you are both vulnerable.

Glad macmillan got back to you so quickly, want to give me the name of the Act and I can look it up? Researching and interpreting law was my forte at college!
I think people have changed so much since the pandemic, it’s hard because it’s people I’ve worked with for years and we’ve been on nights out. Before I lost mum and dad I wouldn’t be bothered by people so much, I’m sensitive to a lot of things. Sorting mums bank out got me in a panic the other day

Section 13a finance act 1992, I’m a Leo we suppose to be sensitive. But being diagnosed with Myeloma has made me more vulnerable. It’s made me realize how precious life is. Also made me more emotional losing mum too.

Hi, yesI I did pop into TK Maxx today but I couldn’t see any decorations sadly, Just a few Christmas baubles. I’ll look again next time. Xmas puds n the supermarket though!
Glad you’ve made a first step @Keith68 . Good luck, hope you get some help. Good luck to your sister too @Malcolm2. Life seems to pile up the problems doesn’t it, just when we least have the resilience. Snuggled up cosy sounds good though.

I’ve looked it up and you have to apply to the council for a reduction in liability under the Council’s Discretionary Reduction Fund. Problem is though there are things you have to include in the application such as evidence of your income, expenditure and debts. They need two months of bank statements so will see your inheritance from your mum if it’s in your account. You might be able show them that your condition is long term so that money will run out. If I was you I would contact Money Matters at Macmillan to see if someone could help you with the application or recommend an organisation that could. Money Matters looked into to see what benefits mum could get and there was the new boiler and tumble dryer. Phone the council too like you’ve been advised and cite section 13 and see what they say. If you don’t ask, you don’t get!

1 Like